The library provides opportunities to individuals, groups and non-commercial organizations to display materials temporarily in designated display cases within the facility. As an institution for education and the exchange of information and ideas among its customers, and in the light of the library’s primary mission of serving Arlington Heights residents and organizations, the library makes these display cases available for the public display of governmental, civic, cultural, educational, recreational and public information.
The following are eligible display hosts:
- Arlington Heights residents
- Non-commercial organizations based in Arlington Heights
- Any other individual, group, or non-commercial organization, only if the display is sponsored by an Arlington Heights resident
- Displays coordinated by library staff.
Each display is scheduled for the period of one calendar month. The display period begins on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the month, unless otherwise noted by library staff.
No individual or group may host a display more than once in a 12-month period. Exceptions may be granted subject to display case availability.
No group or individual may reassign the use of the display case to another unapproved group or individual. The display must appear as described in the approved Request Form.
Reservations for any display case may be taken up to one year in advance of the time the display will appear. An individual’s or group’s reservation for any display case is not automatically renewed for the same time the following year. The individual or group member must fill out the online Request Form for each display year requested.
The library reserves the right to use one or more cases for library use, and to reschedule any outside booking if the library needs to use a reserved case. Individuals, groups, or organizations wishing to display may indicate their preference of display case, but the library reserves the right to make the final assignment. The presence of a public display in the facility does not constitute an endorsement of its contents by the library. There is no fee for the display of materials in the display cases. The library reserves the right to refuse any display requests or remove any material deemed unsuitable.The library is not responsible for installing or removing displays created by the members of the Arlington Heights public.
Display materials must be of an appropriate size and quantity to fill the display case. Display cases are not to be used for the sale of merchandise or services or to solicit donations. Library-sponsored or co-sponsored displays and the Friends of the Library displays are exempted from the restrictions.
Display hosts are required to provide a complete list of items to be displayed. No changes should be made to the display without library staff permission. Only non-damage adhesive is allowed to affix signage in the display cases.
The library takes reasonable precautions to protect displays; however, the library will not be responsible for any damage, loss or theft. Display hosts are responsible for insuring any valuable displayed materials.
The display will be regulated by the library’s staff. The library welcomes expression of all viewpoints. However, exhibits may not contain the following:
- Material that threatens violence or intimidation of any individual or group;
- Obscene material, defined as material that the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that the work taken as a whole appeals to the prurient interest; that the work depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct defined under Illinois law; and that the work taken as a whole lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value. The paramount criterion for evaluating material proposed for display is whether the material is consistent with the library’s vision and values.
The library will remove any materials or displays violating these policies from the display cases immediately.
The library may also remove any materials that remain in the display case after the last day of the display month. The library will hold items up to one month from the display end date. If not claimed by the display host, the library has the right to discard after 30 days without notice.